66 shades of grey

66 shades of grey
66 shades of grey ... this pic of me was shot by Kim, of Kim Thomsen's Photography at Daly Waters in the Northern Territory. Kim just wandered over and asked whether it was OK to get some character shots.

cross

cross
The cross is in front of the church in Karumba and it seems TV antennas have a greater reach for the sky.

Shark

Shark
I went fishing out of Nhulunbuy on the Gulf of Carpentaria. We anchored in a bay about 10 hours from Nhulunbuy and went ashore. This poor fella had been snared in the locals' overnight net and then had a run-in with the resident 14-foot saltwater croc - named Nike by the local indigenous fellas - and came off second best.

the rock

the rock
Uluru

oodnadatta track

oodnadatta track
What a tough place to live ... this is out on the Oodnadatta Track

ME IN A NUTSHELL

My photo
G’day, I’m Michael and I have two fantastic grown-up kids. I’m a jeans and singlet/T-shirt, cowboy boot, tattoos sort of fella, who knows a bit about this and sometimes a lot about that. I'll have a crack at most things, although having a relationship? ... well that ship has sailed. I'm past my use-by date anyway, so I'm gonna make it all about me and surviving life as I know it ... or make it.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Greywacke pinot gris ... what a great wine


The temptation to over-indulge when the weather gets warmer is hard to shake … OK, nigh on impossible.
I just had a couple of weeks and a bit in Vanuatu and, given that it was warmer there than in Melbourne, I over-indulged in everything … strong drink, kava, food, sleep, the beach … you get the picture.
It was on the agenda back at home to pull it back a bit and get healthy, you know, cut back on the wine, eat lots of fruit and healthy meals, no more beer (reckon it would be impossible to have more, given what I got into when I was away), regular exercise, but bugger it.
This past week I’ve enjoyed French rosé, WTF shiraz, Oomoo sparkling shiraz, a Margaret River chenin blanc, Aussie rosé, a semillon-sauvignon blend, oh, and some bourbon and some tequila. Reckon I feel all the better for having cut back. . I also feel good for having discovered an absolute cracker of a wine.
I took a wander to my local wine shop (in Albert Park) and sought a recommendation (thanks Ange) for something good to go with the san choy bow that I was planning to cook. Enter Greywacke 2010 pinot gris, from Marlborough in New Zealand.
Greywacke (you’ve gotta love the name; it’s pronounced grey-wacky) is a reference to sandstone, and English geologists apparently reckoned greywacke was an "uncouth foreign term". Well, they would, wouldn’t they, given that London offers up names such as Back Passage, Mincing Lane, Mudchute, Percy Passage, Swallow Passage, Cock Hill, Cockbush Avenue and my favourite from Norfolk, Harlot’s Hole, but I digress.
Let me tell you, there’s bugger all uncouth about Greywacke pinot gris. It’s a robust 14% alcohol (not at all to its detriment) and, depending on whom you believe, it offers hints pears, figs, apricots, jasmine, nutmeg, white pepper, apple, two turtle doves and a partridge in a … (I smoke rollies, so the jury’s out when it comes to my palate.) I’d say it’s pleasantly fruity (yeah, I found some of the above), has plenty of body, feels good in the mouth (don’t they all?) and has a bit residual sugar that perfectly complemented the san choy bow (a recipe that I mahttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifde up as I went along).
I paid a premium of about 34 bucks for a bottle (OK, it was a welcome-home treat), but it varies from about $25 upwards if you can be bothered checking this interweb thing.
But I reckon I’d pay the $34 again because it is that good.
Oh, and if you’re keen to try my version of san choy bow, it’s in the recipes section below.
PS: I have been treating myself to freshly made fruit juice at home, thanks to the inspiration of Crikey’s juice boy and cinema fanatic, Luke Buckmaster, who makes a different juice daily, so all is not lost.

2 comments:

  1. I think other web-site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and wonderful user genial style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!
    Onyx Mesh Desk Organizer 3 Sections/2 Baskets

    ReplyDelete